Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Church update

Church of the Ascension 2 Riverside St. Rochester, NY 14613
find a place for you and yours at:

map


The Coming of The Holy Spirit on Pentecost
.

.http://clipart.christiansunite.com/1274092861/Pentecost_Clipart/Pentecost011.jpg.

John 14

WE WELCOME ALL VISITORS AND SEEKERS OF GOD.
**************
ALL BAPTIZED CHRISTIANS ARE INVITED TO RECEIVE THE HOLY COMMUNION.


LORD, LET US PRAY AND WORK TO HEAR YOUR WORD, CHANGE OUR HEARTS

AND GO FORTH TO DO YOUR WILL, EMPOWERED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT



Dear Friends, May 17, 2010

Yesterday was the seventh Sunday of the Easter Season.
Jesus was carried up into Heaven in The Ascension. The Rev. John Andrews preached that just as the mantle of Elijah had passed to Elisha, the work of sharing the message was now on all of us. If we ask, we too will be anointed with God's power to accomplish this honor given to us by God..

Speaking of accomplishment, this past Saturday a group assembled under the leadership of Don Taylor, Sr. Warden, to spruce up our building and grounds. Thanks to all who participated in this Fix-Up Day!

Please keep in your prayers those in need of healing, and all who serve in our military forces. Please pray that we may have a successful rector search. Kindly also pray for the Wardens and their work in this time of search.

The family of Babs Reece invites all of us to her memorial service this coming Saturday, May 22 at Noon in the Church.

Next Sunday, Pentecost Sunday, please welcome our guest clergy, The Rev. Ginny Mazzarella.
Please wear some red to symbolize the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the Disciples, and upon us. This Sunday, 50 days after Easter, is sometimes known as the birthday of the Church, because the Holy Spirit amazed and inspired the men and women disciples to take up their work of spreading the Gospel - the Good News of Jesus - to all the world.

Still time to help our Parish and the new Diocesan ad campaign. Please try going to the following link and give your answers. It only takes about 10 minutes. The more input received, the greater the benefit to all.:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=6mt900Trdjmf76h5KAxb4D4Bei%2bmtl0LlvRgV9TbwyE%3d&;

This is something new and very welcome. Please give it your best!!


Our building tenant, Greater Rochester Community of Churches is working with Habitat for Humanity to build a house. Want to help? Call Tim Calkins at 585-218-2060 for details.

Please visit or call a friend who is not able to get out or whom you've been meaning to call. There are many who would love a call and an invitation to church or an inquiry as to when you might pay a visit.

To donate altar flowers, please contact Laurie Phillips, 865-2802 or email LBP@rochester.rr.com There are openings for May 30 and June 27, as well as other opportunities.

Thursday Bible Study is in the Library at 9 AM.
Please 'Come and See'. In this season, the lessons confirm the unity of the Father and the Son, the glory of Jesus, the coming of The Holy Spirit and what we are to do as disciples. There is food for thought and often refreshments to share. The study is of the Gospel Lesson for next Sunday, found below. If we wish to share our love of God, we need to know the stories of the Bible. Here is a good way to begin.

The Women's Club annual Steak Roast will be on June 3. Husbands and guests are invited. Cost is $5.00 per person and a dish to pass. Please call Jan Wills, 621-3900.

It is not to early to mark your calendar for the Lobster Dinner on Friday, June 4! A great time!

A congregation first grows like a seed, in the heart of each faithful person; and only then it can spread. If we want to grow, we must love God, love our friends and then speak to them. God will help us share the Bread of Life.....We never know how ready a friend may be to hear a word of encouragement in faith. We never know when God will bring someone to speak to us, and enrich our own life. We greeted many visitors this past Sunday - was this the Holy Spirit at work?

When we see new people on Sunday or at an event, let's be sure to introduce ourselves and make them welcome. An invitation to chat at Coffee Hour is a great ice-breaker. So is sitting with a new person. This is a part of God's work for each and every one of us.

Do you have a pocket card to hand to a friend who asks about Ascension? Cards are available in the back of the church. Please take a few, and be ready to share. We have pocket crosses in the table drawer in the rear of church to hand to those who answer the call to "Come and See"..

http://ascensionroch.blogspot.com/

If you have a new or better email address for yourself, or know someone who might like to receive this weekly e-letter, please email me that information.

Blessings,

Dyson
D. Dyson Gay
585-317-4039

P.S. The hymn during communion next Sunday will be Come down, O Love Divine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pS-Ga7OUM


The Gospel for The Day of Pentecost, which we celebrate next Sunday, is
.

John 14:8-17 (25-27)

Philip said to Jesus, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you."

["I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid."]

No comments:

Post a Comment