Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. John 14: 23-29

WE WELCOME ALL VISITORS AND SEEKERS OF GOD. ALL BAPTIZED CHRISTIANS ARE INVITED TO RECEIVE THE HOLY COMMUNION.

LORD, LET US PRAY AND WORK TO HEAR YOUR WORD, CHANGE OUR HEARTS AND GO FORTH TO DO YOUR WILL, EMPOWERED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT

Dear Friends,
Yesterday was the fifth Sunday of the Easter Season. Jesus appeared to his disciples. He appears to us today - in wonders and sorrows, joy and puzzlement, Rev. Carolyn told us. We need to seek him in justice, mercy, forgiveness, love and action. His glory will be the more evident. Come to church and hear these great sermons, week after week.

Please keep in your prayers those in need of healing, and all who serve in our military forces. Please pray that we may have a successful rector search. Kindly also pray for the Wardens and their work in this time of search.

Last call ....Women's Luncheon, this Thursday. Please call Jan Wills 621-3900 to say "Yes". Salad or dessert to bring..

Help our Parish and the new Diocesan ad campaign. Please try going to this link and give your answers. It only takes about 10 minutes. The more input received, the greater the benefit to all.
This is something new and very welcome. Please give it your best!!

Our building tenant, Greater Rochester Community of Churches is working with Habitat for Humanity to build a house. Want to help? Call Tim Calkins at 585-218-2060 for details.

Next Fix-Up Day is Sat, May 15. Start time is 9 AM and we finish by 3 at the latest. Come in your jeans and old shirt and have a blast with some friends, old and new. Nothing brings friends together like working side by side. And the food is good!! Rain or shine, there is work inside and work outside.

Please visit or call a friend who is not able to get out or whom you've been meaning to call. There are many who would love a call and an invitation to church or an inquiry as to when you might pay a visit.

Thursday Bible Study is in the Library at 9 AM. Please 'Come and See'. In this season of Easter, the lessons confirm the unity of the Father and the Son, the glory of Jesus, the coming of The Holy Spirit and what we are to do as disciples. There is food for thought and often refreshments to share. The study is of the Gospel Lesson for next Sunday, found below. If we wish to share our love of God, we need to know the stories of the Bible. Here is a good way to begin.

A congregation first grows like a seed, in the heart of each faithful person; and only then it can spread. If we want to grow, we must love God, love our friends and then speak to them. God will help us share the Bread of Life.....We never know how ready a friend may be to hear a word of encouragement in faith. We never know when God will bring someone to speak to us, and enrich our own life.

When we see new people on Sunday or at an event, let's be sure to introduce ourselves and make them welcome. An invitation to chat at Coffee Hour is a great ice-breaker. So is sitting with a new person. This is a part of God's work for each and every one of us.

Do you have a pocket card to hand to a friend who asks about Ascension? Cards are available in the back of the church. Please take a few, and be ready to share. We have pocket crosses in the table drawer in the rear of church to hand to those who answer the call to "Come and See"..

Ascension Update e-letters are on our blogspot. http://ascensionroch.blogspot.com/

If you have a new or better email address for yourself, or know someone who might like to receive this weekly e-letter, please email me that information.

Blessings,

Dyson
D. Dyson Gay
585-317-4039

P.S. The anthem for next Sunday will be If Ye Love Me, by Thomas Tallis. Here's a video

Gospel for Sunday - John 14:23-29
14:23 Jesus answered him, "Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

14:24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.

14:25 "I have said these things to you while I am still with you.

14:26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.

14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.

14:28 You heard me say to you, 'I am going away, and I am coming to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I.

14:29 And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment